Author Topic: Marquart Charger MA-5 Biplane Build  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Lane C.

• Club Member
Re: Marquart Charger MA-5 Biplane Build
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2019, 09:16:08 am »
Darrell, cockpits look nice. Lots of details in them. You moved thru this build fast! Going to fly it in the Scale Meet?

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2019, 07:13:39 pm »
Short answer is 'maybe'. If it flies good and I get a fair amount of practice time with it, I might. I am getting documentation package together.
Darrell Abby

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2019, 10:10:29 am »
Assembled the Charger in the driveway for engine run Monday afternoon 3/11. Took a while to get fuel up to the choke/carb but it finally fired and we were off to the races. No carb adjustments yet. Good idle at 1700-1800 rpm; no hesitation with throttle up. Could not get top end rpm without some help. Stopped and start several times. Running a 22 x 8 Zoar so far. I need to reduce the diameter to increase the prop ground clearance. So I installed the cowl and spinner; then no ignition light. Rats. I thought it might be low ignition battery so charged it some-no joy. After disassembly, I found that the ignition light wire had simply disconnected. Whew. This week is not looking good for flying.
Darrell Abby

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2019, 08:54:54 pm »
It was a disappointing Charger day. After only a couple minutes of engine run I noticed one of the upper tail braces had broken and was gouging the surface of the horizontal stab. Ouch. The repair of the high gloss surface will be visible. Manufacture of 4 new, heavier braces is underway. Thanks to Mark for his instruction on tail brace ideas. Number 2 is that I have decided that the plane is tail heavy so that means a nose weight job. Number 3 is that 3 upper wing attach bolt have shaken loose (not all at once). Not good. There are eight 4-40 socket bolts into blind nuts. I will try lock washers. Nancy did take some photos today but they aren't up to her standards; try again on cloudy day or in some shade. I had visions of maiden flight Sunday 3/17 but now not sure. It may just be taxi tests to check out vibration/loose bolts/engine run time.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:38:45 am by dlabby »
Darrell Abby

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2019, 07:25:30 pm »
Monday 3/19: Gorgeous day for flying with light east wind. Lot of activity including big warbirds, 2 ME-163 rocket light-offs, new planes, and everything else. I flew the Charger 2 times so the maiden ice is broken. After landing the pilot had a smile on his face and he was still wearing his sunglasses and leather helmet. I could feel a little engine heat in the cockpit keeping him nice and warm. One upper wing 4-40 bolt loosened on flight 1. This problem came up on driveway engine run. I switched from lock washers to flat washers and neoprene rubber washer and I think this will keep the bolts tight. Something to keep an eye on. The new DA-50 started easily and is running rich while spinning the 21 x 8 Zoar prop. I flew in low rates and roll rate was nice; the plane looped easily. It flies very true and solid. I will learn to slow down a little more on landing perhaps eliminating today's bouncy landings.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:31:39 pm by dlabby »
Darrell Abby

Offline Lane C.

• Club Member
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2019, 10:50:55 pm »
Darrell, a nice looking build, seeing it in person. Great maiden flight! Nice day for any kind of flying. Congrats. Lane

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2019, 01:37:52 pm »
Thank you, Lane. That TopRC Spitfire is nice and looks great in the air, also.
Darrell Abby

Offline Barry Ponder

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum member
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2019, 05:01:33 pm »
Top rate job. Hats off to Darrell for a great first flight and a beautiful biplane. 
Barry