Author Topic: Marquart Charger MA-5 Biplane Build  (Read 1576 times)

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
Re: Marquart Charger MA-5 Biplane Build
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2018, 08:51:56 pm »
Thanks, guys. Yes, I am pleased with how the Stix-It and Koverall work. Then I brushed 3 coats of clear Randolph butrate dope on the 2 covered wings and miscellaneous parts. Today I sprayed the Advantage acrylic lacquer primer thinned 1:1 on same. This is more trouble than the rattle cans but it sure sands nice and satin smooth. You sure can see all your defects in previous work. Another primer coat and final sanding should make her ready for paint. I also epoxied the vertical fin and horizontal stab onto the fuse. No muffler today. Rats. Where is that thing?

Darrell Abby

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2018, 12:12:17 pm »
Finally received the muffler--fits perfect. So back to the fuse. Did another engine/muffler temporary install. Got fuel tank and plumbing installed. Secured the ignition and battery up front (removable). The throttle and choke servos are installed with linkages (theoretically removable--haha). Epoxied in the servo tray--2 elevator servos, 1 rudder, receiver, and battery (all accessible thru the wing opening). Center cabanes are finalized, clothed, and primed. Aileron connecting rods are finished. After cabanes are epoxied in place, I can build front hood area. Still have to build lower, removable chin hatch around muffler exhausts (it is started). Need to take some photos, I guess.
Darrell Abby

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2018, 08:34:20 pm »
Seeing some visible progress finally. The lower chin hatch is finished; it's held on by 3 4-40 hex bolts. This is access to removable ignition, battery, and front of gas tank. Cabanes are epoxied in and front upper fuse is framed and covered. The stiff 1/32" plywood is pretty stiff even though I wet it and molded it. I used thin CA (miracle stuff) at the edges and 5 minute epoxy elsewhere. Nancy helped me hold it in place and helped glue. Five hardwood cowl hold blocks are epoxied in place. The switches are on the floor of the front cockpit.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:37:02 pm by dlabby »
Darrell Abby

Offline Lane C.

• Club Member
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2018, 06:31:12 am »
Nice sheeting job on the plywood! Not easy to do. All a clean job.

Offline Joystick

• GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2018, 12:11:35 pm »
Seeing some visible progress finally. The lower chin hatch is finished; it's held on by 3 4-40 hex bolts. This is access to removable ignition, battery, and front of gas tank. Cabanes are epoxied in and front upper fuse is framed and covered. The stiff 1/32" plywood is pretty stiff even though I wet it and molded it. I used thin CA (miracle stuff) at the edges and 5 minute epoxy elsewhere. Nancy helped me hold it in place and helped glue. Five hardwood cowl hold blocks are epoxied in place. The switches are on the floor of the front cockpit.

Really good job.

I do have two suggestions. It would be a good idea to use 1/4" nylon bolts to hold the gear on. They will break and save your fuselage in the event of a hard landing. Your wheels will still poke holes in the wing, but at least that won't be as hard to fix. Also, I would put brass tubing around the wing dowels, that will keep them from wearing out due to vibration. It is easy to enlarge the holes in the bulkhead to allow them to fit.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Lane C.

• Club Member
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2018, 01:16:45 pm »
"It would be a good idea to use 1/4" nylon bolts to hold the gear on. They will break and save your fuselage in the event of a hard landing."

Steve, that wouldn't be a hard landing, that would be a crash! ha. Darrel makes nice landings, but crashes happen, I suppose.

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2019, 09:33:39 am »
I agree on the nylon bolts; going to switch them out. I usually do use nylon on my sport planes. The wing pegs and fuse holes are CA soaked so I don't think they will wear. I now have 1/32" ply sides glued in place; much easier than the top piece. Did some puttying and sanding. Fixed the 1/32" miss-match between the rear of fuse and the solid ply area. Got a pattern made for the windshields--one of many plan deviations. Going to check with Sparky on those. so I guess I'm ready to Koverall the fuse. Callie (Callie-graphics) is sending me a paint mask test piece to experiment with on my test wing structure.

Darrell Abby

Offline Barry Ponder

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum member
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2019, 05:09:32 pm »
Good work Darrell. Almost makes me want to build something. Ha
I would need surgery after just to keep moving.
All that sanding ouch.
Barry

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2019, 06:56:20 pm »
Thanks, Barry. Yes, it does take hours and hours of sanding. Today I sprayed primer coat #1 on the fuse, chin hatch, and cowl. Tomorrow will be coat #2 followed by complete 320 grit sanding. My Randolph red and cream dope should be here Wednesday; this is the exact same paint that Mr. Gilmore used on his homebuilt. Today I received the test paint masks from Callie.
Darrell Abby

Offline Barry Ponder

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum member
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2019, 07:54:11 pm »
Pretty cool stuff. She will be very scale. And very nice.
Barry

Offline Joystick

• GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 04:43:53 am »
Red and cream colors are going to look great. Can't wait to see it fly.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2019, 09:17:22 am »
Spent the entire day experimenting and testing Callie's test paint masks. Not thrilled with the color of the cream that Mr. Gilmore used and so hard to tell the exact color from all the photos. But in order to remain scale I decided to stick with it. The cream and red are Randolph Aircraft brand butrate dope. After applying mask to my test wing, I tried 2 different clear sealers before over-spraying the red. When lifting off the mask both of them pulled up the red letters that are supposed to remain. Ugghh. By gently scoring around the letter with a sharp exacto it can work but ends up ugly and jagged. so I tried another test with NO sealer. Removing mask left a perfect red letter. Yea. So that the plan. I also tried the clear gloss top coat sealer Klass Kote epoxy paint. That seems to work. Now how do I put a 1/16" black outline around the letters? I have a plan. I placed a big order with Callie Graphics; we'll see what she comes up with. So now I will proceed shooting the entire airframe and extra parts with the cream color. But we're gone this weekend. Start Monday.
Darrell Abby

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2019, 04:01:41 pm »
It took 3.5 hours of steady spray painting but got 1 coat of 'Sun Valley Ivory' dope on fuse, 2 wings, and all miscellaneous parts. I'm still not thrilled with this color. It sprays nice and covers good. As you can see, the color looks different in these 2 photos (first one is more accurate). Callie's printer broke down so not sure how long it will take to get the graphics package. Haven't found a pilot yet that I like; looking for civilian with leather helmet and sunglasses.

Darrell Abby

Offline Lane C.

• Club Member
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2019, 11:03:03 pm »
Darrell, at least you found it possible to spray in these cold temps! Looks good from the photos. Lane

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2019, 08:02:00 pm »
Taking a breather from new construction while waiting on Callie's graphics package. Now repairing my Slim Jim 40 from a crash at Thunderbird field. Need to be ready for a FUN FLY!
Darrell Abby