Author Topic: Meister A6M3 Model 22 Zeke Build  (Read 16059 times)

Offline Lane C.

Re: Meister A6M3 Model 22 Zeke Build
« Reply #375 on: July 31, 2019, 09:01:07 pm »
I finished the 2nd wing bag today. Glad that's done. I picked up some rattle can green for the instrument panel and will concentrate on getting that decaled and in the plane. I included a photo of the CAF Model 22 Zero instrument panel to show the similar color of the panel. The model panel will take on a darker tone with all the black instruments and guns. I need to find a gunsight.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #376 on: August 03, 2019, 06:24:49 pm »
Pretty much finished up the cockpit today. Added a few pics. I'm going to call this good.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #377 on: August 05, 2019, 08:19:14 pm »
Installed the gas tank. Ran gas lines out the engine box to the engine. Installed the ignition module on top of the Denny Box. It's ready for the cowl and some much COOLER weather!

Offline Barry Ponder

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum member
« Reply #378 on: August 06, 2019, 11:55:29 am »
Yes weather is calling for the 100s. Itís August in Texas before you know it it will be Fall with nice temps and winds at 30. Ha. We might find a day in there yet. Preferably at 5 to 10 SE.

Barry

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #379 on: August 06, 2019, 12:42:30 pm »
We'll have to wait for cooler temps for sure.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #380 on: August 07, 2019, 03:19:26 pm »
I'm calling her DONE! Will wait for temps in the high 70's to go fly. Maybe. have to play it by ear.

Finished the fuel fill line inside the cowl flaps to keep from putting another hole in the fuselage. line pulls out like a fuel dot setup.

Offline Joystick

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #381 on: August 08, 2019, 06:34:33 am »
Looking good. Can't wait to see that bird fly. Should be awesome.

I was looking at the gun placement and realized that the guns are right in the cockpit and it looks like there's no isolation from the pilot. The noise and fumes must have been hell when they were fired.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #382 on: August 08, 2019, 08:37:01 am »
Steve, I think the pilots got high off the gunsmoke and gases! I've thought about the same thing, but many WWI biplanes had the same arrangement, but open cockpits. Wouldn't be as loud, but not exactly quiet!

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #383 on: August 08, 2019, 02:11:45 pm »
There's always a loose end lying about. I want to add some stitching to the wing bags to really make them strong. Used a handy stitcher and some heavy waxed thread. Works well, but time consuming.

Offline Herb Koven

• Club Member
« Reply #384 on: August 08, 2019, 08:36:10 pm »
Looking good. Can't wait to see that bird fly. Should be awesome.

I was looking at the gun placement and realized that the guns are right in the cockpit and it looks like there's no isolation from the pilot. The noise and fumes must have been hell when they were fired.

The location of the zero fuselage mounted guns was not unique. In fact, the Douglas SBD Dauntless had its forward-facing guns in precisely the same position. The biggest difference between the two installations was the caliber of the machine guns, the SBDís was larger. The SBD was well liked by its pilots so I doubt that they or the zero pilots were gassed when they fired their guns. Below are links to photos showing the zero cockpit layout, the SBD layout and the Curtiss P36 layout.

https://images.app.goo.gl/pqUkkPckR5r4fBkRA

https://images.app.goo.gl/PuAuCfcHymynuSGV9

http://pin.it/uQYnflz

Herb

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #385 on: August 08, 2019, 10:46:03 pm »
Herb, with the later versions of the Zero, Model 52b and on, the cockpit guns were 1 - 30 caliber (actual 7.7 mm) and 1 - 50 caliber (actual 13mm). I am sure they had at least some provision for venting the smoke and gasses out of the cockpit. Whatever the situation in the cockpit when firing the guns, it wasn't much of a bother as the Zeros cleaned house early on! Nishizawa got 82 kills officially and perhaps more unofficially. Lane

Offline Herb Koven

• Club Member
« Reply #386 on: August 09, 2019, 11:30:11 am »
A little known factoid about the Zero. The Zero used an aluminum alloy stronger than the alloy used by the US. Below is a portion of an article on the Zero.

" Most of the aircraft was built of a new top-secret aluminum alloy developed by Sumitomo Metal Industries in 1936. Called "extra super duralumin" (ESD), it was lighter, stronger and more ductile than other alloys (e.g. 24S alloy) used at the time, but was prone to corrosive attack, which made it brittle.[10] This detrimental effect was countered with an anti-corrosion coating applied after fabrication." 

This aided in the design of a very light fighter with extraordinary range.

Herb

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #387 on: August 09, 2019, 11:39:00 am »
Herb, that's an interesting item on the Top Secret aluminum. Didn't know that. But, that anti-corrosion solution was the Aotake coatings which were similar to Zinc Chromate the US used.

http://colesaircraft.blogspot.com/2014/01/japanese-wwii-aircraft-aotake-primer.html

And, the longest range Zero was the Model 22 which had an additional 12 gallon gas tank in each wing. The Model 22 was essentially, a Model 21 with some updates such as downdraft carb which changed the cowl shape, making Model 22's easily distinguishable from Model 21's. It still kept the long wing of the Model 21's vs the later Model 52's which went with the shorter wing. Lane

Actually, after some thought, the short wing Zero was first used on the Model 32, but that plane was sort of a dud. Basically, they just removed the folding wing tips on the 32 and put squared/blunt tips on there. The Model 52's had a more ascetically pleasing rounded appearance on the wing tips (same shape as the folding wing tips). The 52's retained the additional 12 gallon wing tanks, but the Model 22 still had better range.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 11:52:14 am by Lane C. »

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #388 on: August 10, 2019, 03:41:08 pm »
Moved the Zero inside to temp controlled air. Might be a while before time to fly.

Zero wing bags next to a CARF P-51 wing bag. Kinda dwarfs it.

Offline Joystick

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #389 on: August 10, 2019, 04:58:23 pm »
I'm basing it on my own experience with a .30 cal machine gun from a helicopter, a .222/3 gatling gun from an AC-47 and the 20 mm from the AC-130. Loud and lots of gas.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.