Author Topic: Meister A6M3 Model 22 Zeke Build  (Read 17124 times)

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
Re: Meister A6M3 Model 22 Zeke Build
« Reply #330 on: May 30, 2019, 08:56:21 pm »
What is your theory on the paint masks/paint problem?
Darrell Abby

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #331 on: May 31, 2019, 09:12:30 am »
Hi Darrell, I first ran into the extra sticky paint masks on painting the PC-6 Porter. They pulled up the underpaint in several places. Before, on the P-51, Callie sent paint masks using a less sticky material and they worked well. I did pull some paint when removing one mask, but it was the tail number I had just painted, not the underpaint. I got in too big a hurry removing the mask. But, all in all the old material worked well.

On the Zero tail numbers, it also could have been that the underpaint on the rudder wasn't dry enough. But, I did try to make sure the overall paint on the fuselage was dry by putting it in the truck camper shell out in the Sun for several days. And, also used the Advatage 190 oil and grease remover before I applied the light grey paint over the advantage primer. So, I just feel the extra sticky paint masks are the main reason the paint pulled up.

However, I am aware it takes latex paint about 3 weeks to really dry. Maybe I should allow the repainted parts to dry that long before using any more paint masks.

If the weather settles down in June, I can be doing some flying while the paint dries. Got 3 planes that Barry has test flown, but not me. Ha

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #332 on: May 31, 2019, 09:56:18 am »
Thanks. All good info. I didn't realize Callie had more than one "stickiness". I got lucky on the Charger complicated masks, I guess. That paint was Randolph aircraft dope. Her mask edges were really good, too. I did a lot of experimenting on test piece that I built. Good luck.
Darrell Abby

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #333 on: May 31, 2019, 02:37:49 pm »
Darrell, After I had the slight problem with the Porter, I ask Callie why the change. She said that several customers had complained the previous masks were not sticking down enough. So, she changed to the present. She can supply the old material as well on request.

I primered the rudder and several other areas on the fuselage today. Turned out to be a good day to paint.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #334 on: June 01, 2019, 12:07:38 pm »
Since I am basically done on the bottom of the wings, I added a few simple panel lines with 2B lead pencil. Then, clear coated them to keep them intact. Used Polycrylic Satin. Right out of the can - no thinning needed or "allowed." Instructions say NOT to thin.  Sprays nicely. Clear coated a few other parts as well.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #335 on: June 02, 2019, 06:33:37 pm »
Since it was raining AGAIN at 6AM this morning, didn't do much in the shop. But, wet sanded the spinner I painted yesterday with the red latex. Gave it a weathered look.

Offline Barry Ponder

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum member
« Reply #336 on: June 07, 2019, 12:51:47 pm »
She’s going to look like a worn out Hellbitch haha
Cool stuff
Barry

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #337 on: June 07, 2019, 09:53:11 pm »
Barry, yep, that worn out look is hard to do! Tested out some Green on the tail cone today. After it dried, wet sanded with 400 grit for effect. I can still revert to all grey at this point. Kinda like the idea of all grey with the markings. But, with the green on the upper fuselage and wing, it would look pretty cool. I need to make a final decision and get it painted. Summer's already rolling along!

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #338 on: June 13, 2019, 04:50:44 pm »
Finally got to painting the wing tops Green. Took a while to mask off the wing bottoms. Then, painted the green on in about 6 very light coats in several directions. First coat was parallel to the chord, then 45 degrees to the chord both ways, then parallel to the span, then 2 more coats parallel to the chord. It still has a mottled appearance where the light grey can be seen and next i'll wet sand with 1000 grit to thin out the green to show some of the light grey in places. Hope this will make the green look crudely applied like the real deal.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #339 on: June 14, 2019, 01:03:54 pm »
Wet sanded the other wing to match. Winds are 20-25 today so that's a bit much to paint outside. I could crack the overhead door open and paint the meatballs, but not quite sure on that. I need the meatballs to be painted so I can add some panel lines and then clear coat.

Offline Barry Ponder

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum member
« Reply #340 on: June 14, 2019, 01:24:10 pm »
Looks weather beaten cool.
Barry

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #341 on: June 15, 2019, 03:51:09 pm »
Painted MeatBalls today and added the yellow leading edge markings.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #342 on: June 16, 2019, 10:14:02 am »
Couldn't wait to get some wet sanding on the new markings. Made a new sanding block out of balsa and CA'd the paper to that. Works fine. As a word of warning, even 1000 grit cuts VERY FAST on new paint! Go slow until you get used to it.

I like to sand around new paint to keep it from looking like stick ons. In the process of sanding the Hinomaru edges, I found I could mimic the "white" around the meatball by sanding off the green. Wasn't expecting that. But that's how the full scale Zero looks. See last pic.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #343 on: June 17, 2019, 04:13:42 pm »
Nice day to paint the Zero fuselage! So, that's what I did.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #344 on: June 17, 2019, 08:25:12 pm »
Rested a bit and then back to the shop to pull off the masking. I grabbed the cowl and laid it on the fuselage for grins. Several pics of the fuselage bottom. Tape pulled up some grey paint, but will sand those to look like wear marks. Also, will block sand the fuselage with wet 1000 grit. Still one more hurdle ahead and that's masking and painting the canopy. I always hate that as it takes forever! But, gotta be done.