Author Topic: Meister A6M3 Model 22 Zeke Build  (Read 12834 times)

Offline Lane C.

Re: Meister Zeke Build
« Reply #315 on: May 14, 2019, 12:40:40 pm »
Got the top of the fuselage painted this morning. Went pretty well.

Held the cowl up for looks.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #316 on: May 14, 2019, 07:39:51 pm »
To help cure the latex paint, I use my "poor man's autoclave" camper shell in the sun. Left the fuselage and cowl out there for 3 hours, but had some errands to do this afternoon. Will leave them in there longer on Wed. All day out there a few days will really help dry the paint deep down.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #317 on: May 15, 2019, 03:18:15 pm »
Put the fuselage and cowl back in the autoclave and did some painting on other areas.

One of the detail areas I kinda dreaded messing with is the Aotake color in the wheel wells and flap areas. This required quite a bit of precision masking and then a silver base coat followed by the 2119 Interior Blue oil based Model Master paint. Also painted the spinner and backplate silver. The nose of the spinner will also get a red application about the halfway up point to the tip.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #318 on: May 15, 2019, 05:58:02 pm »
Pulled the tape and paper off the wing and did some mock up assembly. My juices are flowing!

Offline Joystick

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #319 on: May 15, 2019, 08:23:10 pm »
If you don't sleep, you can have it ready for this Saturday.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #320 on: May 16, 2019, 08:24:38 am »
Whew! Pressure is off now. Scale Meet is moved to next week end. I can have the meatballs painted on by then. Ha

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #321 on: May 16, 2019, 06:27:25 pm »
I couldn't live with the cowl color so repainted it today. I had plenty of black left over from the CARF P-51 build, so used that. Turned out much more to my liking.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #322 on: May 17, 2019, 05:32:21 pm »
I took the cowl out into the direct Sunlight to see if it still looked black. I think it still looks fine. Maybe even the Blue Black I was looking for to start with!

Offline Barry Ponder

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum member
« Reply #323 on: May 18, 2019, 11:53:05 am »
Yes ,very nice it does a have a blue black look.
 Barry

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #324 on: May 20, 2019, 01:22:08 pm »
Got the paint mask package from Callie Graphics today. Went out to place them on the Zero. I taped them in position for now and feel they are pretty close to the final position. Too humid and too windy to paint. And more rain coming. So, guess that will be a few more days to get blown past and dried out.

Offline Lane C.

Re: Meister A6M3 Model 22 Zeke Build
« Reply #325 on: May 22, 2019, 11:23:26 am »
Starting to look like a Zero! Painted one Hinomaru on the right wing bottom. Took a few coats to build up but that's the only way to keep the paint from bleeding under the paint mask. Better to take your time and build the color up slowly. Paint mask pulled off the grey paint, but it looks like weathering!

Offline Lane C.

Re: Meister A6M3 Model 22 Zeke Build
« Reply #326 on: May 22, 2019, 09:17:09 pm »
I continued on with the markings. Painted the Hinomarus on the fuselage and the tail numbers.  The paint masks really held on tight and pulled quite a bit of paint off. But, the Zero is supposed to look crude, and it's already on its way! Callie's paint masks are way too sticky. She changed them a couple of years ago because some customers complained the old material wasn't sticky enough. I'd like to request her to use the old material next time.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:25:17 pm by Lane C. »