Author Topic: Meister A6M3 Model 22 Zeke Build  (Read 17170 times)

Offline Lane C.

Re: Meister Zeke Build
« Reply #240 on: February 12, 2019, 12:07:08 pm »
Sonny, thanks. That Stuka looks like a big girl! Should be a great flyer with that big wing. Post some pics as you assemble her!

Got the tank mounting finished this morning. On there very solid. Added the gear and flipped over for some pics.

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2019, 02:03:21 pm »
She is looking great and eager to go go go.
Darrell Abby

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2019, 08:54:12 pm »
Hi Darrell, yep, gotta keep moving forward!

Got the throttle and choke servos setup today. Still need work, but I think they will work like this.

Had to flip the red arm on the throttle and will make a new G10 arm for the choke.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2019, 02:51:42 pm »
Got the linkages made today. All pretty straight forward. On the G10 for the choke, ended up using another steel arm from a DLE carb.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 02:53:46 pm by Lane C. »

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #244 on: February 17, 2019, 05:26:57 pm »
Spoke to Barry this afternoon. He suggested changing the 4-40 clevis to a HD 4-40 Ball Link to make sure the throttle linkage is secure in all phases of flight! Couldn't hurt anything to change over so I did. VERY heavy duty setup now.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #245 on: February 21, 2019, 12:49:06 pm »
Been thinking on how to mount the gas tank in the engine box. Decided I needed some semi-hard foam to surround it with. I cut the foam to center the tank in the engine box and made it fit very snuggly. With a velcro strap across the back should hold it in place fine.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #246 on: February 21, 2019, 08:29:12 pm »
Made a platform for the ignition unit on top of the engine box. Although, it may be a mounting spot for the lead ballast the Zeke will surely need to get the CG around 30 percent MAC. I'm thinking 5 pounds minimum and maybe as much as 10 pounds. I'll have to wait till she's been painted and all finished to see how she balances out.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #247 on: February 22, 2019, 08:58:41 am »
With a suggestion from the guys on Radio Control Scale Builder for a novel way to allow for lots of lead weights, I am going to build a weight box along the lines of my basic sketch below. Since there is space over the engine on the twin cylinder, I can come forward with the weights. The more forward the weights go, the less weight I'll need to make the CG work. The 5 lb weight would go forward of the 2 lb of course. This is a rough sketch. I've already seen some better ways to build the box. But, that's why it's good to make a sketch of ideas so you can evaluate them without ruining expensive 1/4 inch RC plywood (I might be able to salvage and use the plywood square I've already cut). The next step will be making a model out of paper templates. Then, the actual build.

I recommend going to RCSB and browsing around to see some awesome Scale RC work. It's free to browse but you may have to sign on as a guest. To join, it's only $20 a year and you can easily get $20 worth of ideas and problems solved in the process. Unlike the club board here, there are always dozens of onlookers from around the world (they are UP while you are asleep) to read your questions and comments, and help solve your engine and radio problems, for example.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:11:36 am by Lane C. »

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #248 on: February 23, 2019, 02:38:05 pm »
With a basic idea down on paper, the next step is to get some dimensions for the final Denny Box. I say Denny Box since that's the name given to a weight box used by a RCSB builder named Denny who uses this idea all the time on his warbirds. A 5lb diver's weight is laid on top of a plywood base to see how far forward the box can be and still fit the spinner and cowl. As the photos show, the weights come almost to the spinner back plate and can be one atop the other. That's 7 pounds of lead as far forward as is possible. Of course, the farther forward the weights, the less weight is needed to achieve a particular CG number. Also to be considered, the cowl has to be able to be installed over the weights without interference. Now with those figures, I can make a 3D mockup with cardstock. With the cardstock mockup in place, it looks like it's going to work out pretty well.  Next will be cutting the final parts out of 1/4 inch aircraft grade plywood and gluing them up.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #249 on: February 23, 2019, 07:53:51 pm »
Got to cutting plywood today. I cut the parts and laid them out. Started gluing the forward floor to the side panels and then the center cross panel and finally the aft floor. One more small cross panel on the front end tomorrow and then will taper the side panels. A little bit a day gets the job done.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #250 on: February 24, 2019, 09:48:24 am »
New day and the glue is dried. Denny Box on the Zero with just a bit of overkill on the weights! Still a few things to finish up. I hope I do not need this much lead on the nose! A few other items ahead/forward of the CG that will offset a heavy tail end are the retracts/wheels, cowl, spinner/prop, Rx and engine ignition batteries. I'll put it all together soon to see exactly what amount of lead the desired CG requires. Desired CG is 25 to 30 percent Mean Area Chord, always a safe bet for a maiden flight.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2019, 06:05:43 pm »
Finished the Denny Box this afternoon. After all the glue ups, I cut some welding wire and pinned the box all around. Then drilled the box on top of the engine box and added screws to hold in place. The front floor actually rests on the very center of the engine with some relief cuts to keep the fins off the box. Just needs some Z-Poxy primer coat and then some glass cloth for strength. Since I don't know how much lead she will require, I'll have to start off with 5 pounds on the CG test and go from there. Maybe masking tape the lead  in place for the CG test. For the final deal, I'll bolt the weights to the Denny Box.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:04:16 pm by Lane C. »

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #252 on: February 25, 2019, 12:44:10 pm »
I came up with a way to hold down the diver's weights in a way they won't come loose inflight. Also added a velcro strap to hold the front of the Denny Box in place should it work loose. A belt and suspenders approach, you might say, but an inflight change in the CG would be disastrous.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #253 on: February 25, 2019, 03:48:11 pm »
Got the Z-Poxy out and gave things a prime coat to keep the gas spills out.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #254 on: February 26, 2019, 07:44:22 am »
Went out to the shop this morning to see if the Z-Poxy was dry, and it was. Sanded the edges a bit and put it on the engine box. Matches the rest of the "bright work" as they call it on boats. A little more sanding and another light coat and that will be that.