Author Topic: Meister A6M3 Model 22 Zeke Build  (Read 17183 times)

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
Re: Meister Zeke Build
« Reply #210 on: December 18, 2018, 07:18:19 pm »
Boy, you got that right about the nozzle and cap. After a few uses it is a mess especially if you don't finish the tube and set it on shelf. Really expensive when you can't use it all---like on small intermittent jobs. That wing is looking great. Barry and I had 2 great warbird flights together today. Excellent wx.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 07:25:28 pm by dlabby »
Darrell Abby

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #211 on: December 18, 2018, 09:28:45 pm »
Darrell, today was a fine day to go fly! Wish we had more days like today. Glad you guys had a chance to fly warbirds.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #212 on: December 19, 2018, 10:14:56 am »
Pulled the wing off this morning and checked it out. Hysol dry but still slightly flexible. Sanded it off like hard cheese, not bad at all. Should continue to harden for several more days. No gaps, no flex.

Offline Joystick

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #213 on: December 20, 2018, 03:31:03 pm »
You've nursed this project along for more than enough time, slap some paint on it and go fly.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Offline Barry Ponder

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum member
« Reply #214 on: December 20, 2018, 09:04:50 pm »
No rushing the master.  :) As to my figures he has a couple of hundred more hours and all will be beautifully done and painted and ready for a maiden flight. But maybe not. Not until the weather is right. I think there predicting thunderstorms on that day she’s ready to fly. Rats.  Ha.
Barry.
Pa keep up the good work Lane
She’s coming along nicely

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #215 on: December 22, 2018, 07:59:50 pm »
Doing the last of the glass work today. Glassed one side of the ailerons and let dry. One more side to do. Cooler temps take the Z-Poxy longer to setup. They were dry to the touch, but still a bit soft. Winter is closing in - officially began yesterday Dec 21.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #216 on: December 26, 2018, 05:07:02 am »
Decided to close the cuts in the wingtips for the position lights. I never made any holes in the wing to route the wires, so won't need the cutouts. Just filled-in with scrap balsa and used Dolphin Glaze to smooth over. Also had a low spot just behind the leading edge and started filling that with Dolphin Glaze too. Will take several applications to fill. But, not to worry about weight of the bondo as it's forward of the CG and I will be adding lead up front anyway when I do the final CG determination.

Offline Joystick

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #217 on: December 26, 2018, 09:09:01 pm »
Darn, if you hadn't wasted all that time filling in those cutouts you could have maidened the plane this Saturday.
CHECK SIX

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #218 on: December 26, 2018, 10:29:04 pm »
"Darn, if you hadn't wasted all that time filling in those cutouts you could have maidened the plane this Saturday."

Or, could have flown one of THREE other planes I've never had a chance to fly!

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #219 on: December 27, 2018, 11:59:44 am »
Steve doesn't have much patience, does he Lane? He has given up on my bipe since I am so slow. However, I do enjoy his humor. Active posters are using the facebook GSW group site, not web site.
Darrell Abby

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #220 on: December 27, 2018, 12:46:31 pm »
Darrell, I don't do FaceBook. Haha.

Got some speedbumps/blisters in from Fiberglass Specialities today. Got two sets of two types. Looks like the smaller bumps will look better. These are to cover the holes in the cowl for the spark plug caps. I could leave the holes there and just paint the caps black and wouldn't show much. But, the speed bumps would keep air flowing past the cylinders, so will likely use them. The cowl is black so that will keep the speed bumps from showing up as much. Likely no one will know the difference anyway. They are a concession to keeping the engine running cool vs scale appearance.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 12:49:48 pm by Lane C. »

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #221 on: December 27, 2018, 05:20:43 pm »
Kept on the speed bump project and CA'd the smaller ones. Filled the gaps with plywood and then laid an epoxy fillet around them. Finished with some grey primer for effect. Came out OK.

Offline Joystick

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #222 on: December 28, 2018, 05:17:13 am »
Darrell, I don't do FaceBook. Haha.

Lane, you're missing out by not being on FaceBook. Lot's of great stupid stuff on there.

You better get on there quick. They are going to combine You Tube, Twitter, and FaceBook into one monster social network, it will be called YouTwitFace.
CHECK SIX

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #223 on: December 30, 2018, 06:00:39 am »
Hi Steve, Eric Blair/George Orwell never imagined such a thing as Facebook 70 years ago or he would have included it in "1984." haha.

Got more Dolphin Glaze laid down and sanded smooth on the right wing half. I will reglass that area as I sanded thru to the balsa in a few places. Got to fill a few places on the left wing as well. No big hurry now as it's WINTER BUILDING WEATHER! Ha

Offline Barry Ponder

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum member
« Reply #224 on: January 04, 2019, 05:06:04 pm »
Looking good Lane. Keep up the work we can’t fly anywhay it’s wet cold and then windy. Ha
Barry