Author Topic: Dynam Tiger Moth slow flyer with stabilizer and full FPV pan and tilt set up  (Read 948 times)

Offline Paul Lange

Yes yes yes - WOW.....extremely fun.....beautiful, relaxing, exciting......

I don't have the words to describe how fun FPV is.....I had no idea.

So questered Doug and Bill to don the Goggles whilst I flew the plane...checking out video range and speed of the plane, flight duration and the whole works of my system for two flights.

Both pilots sat in a chair for their respective FPV full pan and tilt video session...I think both were surprised at the clarity and visual effect in the goggles....while I marveled at how slow the Tiger Moth could fly....I mean loiter....er hover...er crawl......in other words...the plane flies stupid slow - LOL Yes landing the Tiger Moth in a gentle headwind with stabilizer.....touches down like a butterfly with sore feet - it's nearly mindblowing slow landing.

I then asked David to spot for me while I flew....taking off and getting in the air about 50ft or so and then goggling up....what a treat. I did lose perception of the field simply because I did not know what it looked like from an aerial perspective......after a couple of circuits I was able to mentally mark some ground points to recognize.

The next flight was 100% all in the goggles....take off is a breeze and turns are nice and slow.....one pilot thought I was flying a balloon......I had to power up to at least 35% throttle and fly low over the runway to convince him the plane could in fact make forward progress - LOL

Yes the stabilizer on this Tiger Moth is amazing.....very easy to fly FPV....very relaxing. One new pilot crashed his plane in trees along the cement plant  fence line during my FPV flight. So the Tiger Moth was immediately dispatched for it's very first search mission.....I was indeed able to cruise the tree line at a snails pace and then rock the wings for extended views down below......the downed pilot then took the goggles from me and placed them on his head as I activated the full pan and tilt on the next passes.....we ran out of daylight. Even though we did NOT find his plane this evening, however I am confident in normal daylight sunshine....we would have been able to find it.

I also confirmed the set up on the Tiger Moth via 3s 30c 2800mAh Lipo provides around 10minutes of flying....er loitering...er hanging around.....it's amazing.....marvelous....fun.

I hope the video from the goggles provides maybe half of the clarity this system provides......starting to view them tonight.

This is a great set up.......I'll calm down later perhaps.....very happy camper!!!
https://youtu.be/9fphM0DhoX8
https://youtu.be/tSTQKgRHmMA
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 06:48:59 pm by Paul Lange »
Best Regards - Paul H Lange

Offline Harold Staats

• Club Member
Paul, do you have some pictures you could post?
Harold Staats

Offline Paul Lange

Yes I do have photos'...but every time I tried to post them.....if froze up this thread.  As you can see there are two previous post that I tried......neither Sonny nor I can delete them.  I may try to post on another bracket heading and see if by chance they behave differently

Thanks for your interest......this FPV thing is outrageously fun....and a little challenging too

For now this is where you can see photo's of the set up:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1777303-Dynam-Tiger-Moth/page332#post37284496

Paul H Lange
Best Regards - Paul H Lange