Author Topic: WWII Zero with USA markings  (Read 405 times)

Offline Joystick

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum Member
WWII Zero with USA markings
« on: February 07, 2019, 02:47:14 pm »
This would be a cool model for a scale event.

As far as I know, there was only one Zero on our side.

http://thevillagesaviation.com/files/files-aircraft_trivia/Zero.pdf
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Offline Lane C.

Re: WWII Zero with USA markings
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 09:06:35 am »
Steve, as far as warbirds dressed in the enemy paint schemes, they seem to be less popular than if painted in their color schemes as built. I had a P-38 that I painted up as a German Capture and it was met with mixed reactions. I had one old boy come up and tell me that the Germans NEVER built such a plane! Haha. And he was serious! I gathered that the majority of onlookers would have liked to see the P-38 in USAAC markings and colors. Yes, the Akutan Zero is an interesting moment in WWII history. I did some looking on the net to see if they Army flew the Zero with the original Sakai engine. All I can find about the engine is that they only had to straighten the prop to make it flyable. But, according to the story, the Zero had the oil line shot out and the pilot was forced to land. I would presume that the engine would have been toast running on little oil. But perhaps it was throttled back enough to keep it from being ruined. At any rate, the Army repaired and flew the Zero until another US plane taxied into it and ripped it to pieces. The original Japanese pilot would have been smart to land his damaged plane in the Alaskan swamp with the gear UP as landing with the gear extended caused the Zero to dig in and violently flip over, killing the young pilot in the process. Zero pilots in his flight were under standing orders to strafe and destroy any Zero that fell in enemy territories, but did not do so with this incident as they did not know if their wingman was dead or alive. Thus, allowing the USAAC to salvage, repair, and wring out the Zero of any weaknesses they could exploit in air combat. One of the many flukes that led to the defeat of the Japanese War Machine.

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 10:10:27 am »
Veeellleeee Intelllestiinnggg.
Darrell Abby

Offline Joystick

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 07:32:11 am »
I'm a non-conformist.

The red SE-5 was awesome.

CHECK SIX

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 08:51:44 am »
Steve, you mean this one?

Offline Joystick

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 12:16:51 pm »
That's the one. I only saw it fly once before you sold it. Haven't seen it since.
CHECK SIX

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 08:40:54 pm »
Yep, guy who bought it, drove over it after he got home. One flight. It was fully paid for, however! He said he was going to rebuild her, but not sure if that ever happened.

Offline gunslinger

• Club Member
  • Scale fliers do it on the wing!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 07:37:07 pm »
Was that on a Balsa USA 1/4 scale?
Tim Lovett

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 07:02:24 am »
Tim, yes, BUSA 1/4 scale. Built in 60 days and flew 10 days later. The SE5 is a great flyer. I'd like to do another, but think next Bipe will be a BUSA D7.