Author Topic: 125 Inch Pilatus Porter PC-6 Kit  (Read 7363 times)

Offline Lane C.

125 Inch Pilatus Porter PC-6 Kit
« on: June 15, 2018, 10:39:40 am »
Due to a problem with the Zero parts kit, I am putting that build off to the back burner for a while. Instead,  I am working on The World Models Pilatus Porter PC-6 kit from Airborne-Models. They have a giant 116 inch Stearman ARF that interested me, but they had already sold out of that one. But, I have been looking at the PC-6 for a good while. It will run a DLE-85 engine. Should be a fun plane for all around flying, especially when the winds aren't warbird perfect. The PC-6 is well known for a bush plane and for carrying sky divers up and getting back to the runway before they do. Quite a few good videos of the Porter, both RC and full scale are on YouTube.

The kit is amazingly well prepared and it might be called and ARF Kit. Many things are laminated for you and all parts are marked either with the laser or ink stamps. Kit is well packaged and comes in two boxes. Nice glass cowl and scale landing gear included. Covering is not included. But, they offer the same model in an ARF with red and white color scheme. In fact, being a snap-together concept, you don't build this in a set of plans, you just make sure your table is flat and use 90 degree triangles or squares to set the parts correctly. Most of the gluing is CA with a little bit of slow cure Epoxy. Goes together fast. Even the sheeting is pre-joined and cut to fit with minimal cutting. A set of scale drawings is included for reference along with an instruction manual for the kit and ARF version. The aft fuselage is designed to be removed for transport if needed (fuselage is over 7 feet long). All the controls for the elevators and rudder are directly servo controlled, so all this is required is to connect the servo cords upon assembly at the field and bolt the aft end on to the forward fuselage. A few pics to bring you up to speed on the build so far. Note the preassembled parts. Both fuselage sides are pre-sheeted and many formers have laminations pre-glued on them. All parts have fit like a tailored-suit so far. A well engineered kit. The only potential problem is being sure the formers are facing the correct direction (fore/aft) as the instructions do not make this clear, especially the photos.

Offline Lane C.

Re: 125 Inch Pilatus Porter PC-6 Kit
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 09:23:39 pm »
Keep going and the job gets done! More sheeting, the bottom of the forward fuselage. This went better than the previous sheetings. Added a few more parts and pieces.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 10:26:51 pm »
Sheeted the top of the fuselage and that went pretty well. Next, the engine box needed some attention before I glued it in place. So, I assembled the DLE-85 with the vibration isolation mount. Got the engine mounted on the box and then fitted the cowl. Still need to attach the muffler and open up the cowl. That cowl is LONG long long! I am going to make some changes on the gas tank install per the booklet and scale drawing. The gas tank sits way too far aft for my likes. But, getting access to the tank with the whole forward top end (under the cowl) sheeted will be difficult so I will only partially sheet it to give clear viewing access to that area with the cowl off. And, will run at least a 32 ounce tank of some description.

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 01:43:21 pm »
Darn it, you keep coming up with the neatest kits. When I'm hunting again, I'm going to put you on it. Pictures look great. Is this your plane? What livery are you going after?
Getting ready to head over to Tim L. to see if we can fit 2 big planes in his Ford; then off to Muncie Wed am.
Darrell Abby

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 03:07:40 pm »
Hi Darrell. Yep, planes keep coming out of the woodworks! I have been interested in a Porter for a while, but VQ wanted shipping AND taxes! Yikes. But this one is quite a bit larger - and a kit. This one is for me, no outside build. Good luck at The NATS. Lane

Oh, and paint scheme. I was interested in a silver base with more color on top of that. But, today I saw a 1981 US Army paint scheme that's good looking. Green on bottom, white on top and yellow strip in the middle.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 03:10:49 pm by Lane C. »

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 03:23:26 pm »
Oh Yeah! That scheme looks real good and not all that complicated.
Darrell Abby

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 03:25:09 pm »
Darrell, AND I have all those colors from the P-51 job! Or close enough. ha

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 10:00:38 pm »
Took the day off from House Paint Prep to stay out of the heat. Worked on the engine box some more. Cut a 2.5 inch hole behind the carb for fresh air and access to the throttle and choke linkages. Also, added some tri-stock to the inside of the box to better support the DLE-85 power. Made a sliding plywood tray for the gas tank as once the forward fuselage is sheeted over, you cannot get to the tank. So, it will be able to slide in thru the door, turn, go forward up to the engine box, and then all the way forward. Held in place with a screw in each end to keep the CG from moving (if the tray moved aft). I'll use a Dubro 32 OZ tank for the final deal. Even though 32 OZ could go quickly in an 85cc engine, I won't be flying flat out all the time like Barry in his Zero!

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 07:21:54 am »
Added a steel clip on the aft end of the tray to keep it down and 3 screw holes on the forward end. Gave the engine box and tray a coat of Z-Poxy to seal it for gas drips. Still need to order a 32 OZ tank, but the Dubro 24 OZ tank is pretty close to the same size. Need to hook up the throttle and choke servos before I sheet all the front end.

Overall high shot of the engine box.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 08:37:31 pm »
Got to the throttle and choke servos today. Plenty of room to run them and linkages alongside the gas tank.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 08:40:43 pm by Lane C. »

Offline Joystick

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 12:28:59 am »
Got to the throttle and choke servos today. Plenty of room to run them and linkages alongside the gas tank.

Even with the 32oz tank?
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 08:39:06 am »
Yes, the 32OZ tank is only about 3/4 inch wider. Tank can sit aft quite a bit too and the rods get wider apart to the rear. If the Dubro tank does not fit, I can go with another Fiji 1 liter water bottle tank - it's long and skinny.

Offline Barry Ponder

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 11:30:55 am »
Crabtree aviation is in full gear.  Looking good. 
Barry   

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 09:30:45 pm »
Made a cover for the engine box to give strength and provide access to the inside for routing the fuel lines etc. Made standoffs for the 4-40 rods since they are so long to keep from kinking.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 05:47:25 pm »
Well, turns out the Dubro 32 OZ tank is a wee bit fat, so, going with the clear 32OZ tank. This is the Red Wing version, but I might get the kit and use the Fiji water bottle version as it's not subject to parts falling off inside the tank. But, as far as fit, they are both about the same.