Author Topic: Incomming!!! Hanger 9 Carbon Cub 15cc ARF 90" - Paul Lange  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Paul Lange

• Club Member
Incomming!!! Hanger 9 Carbon Cub 15cc ARF 90" - Paul Lange
« on: November 15, 2017, 06:28:30 pm »
This will be my 1st ever balsa ARF assembly ....Hanger 9 Carbon Cub 15cc ARF 90"...... yes staying electric via 6s Power plant.

Flight demo:
https://youtu.be/4zPG-GCmZqk

Unboxing demo:
https://youtu.be/j3f0ecurDPc

I have not worked on a balsa plane since .....U-Control tissue covered birds 1969.

I might be over my head....so expect lots of questions moving forward.

I witnessed a Carbon Cub fly in this past week end during the Kingsbury Texas Pioneer Flight Museum fly in......the plane was outfitted to the hilt with the most recent avionics available....the paint scheme is wonderful.  The pilot demonstrated STOL multiple times with ease.  When I discovered the very same model in a good size R/C from Horizon Hobby......I could not help myself

What sold me on this model is the landing gear and air fill wheels that come delivered as well as the side entry doors for cockpit access.....and a nice LED package integrated in the leading edges. 

Paul H Lange
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:47:08 pm by Paul Lange »
Best Regards - Paul H Lange

Offline Joystick

• GSWAM Forum Member
Re: Incomming!!! Hanger 9 Carbon Cub 15cc ARF 90" - Paul Lange
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 06:46:25 pm »
Don't worry, be happy. It's an ARF, a chimp could put it together.

After you do it that will prove it.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Offline Paul Lange

• Club Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 11:05:56 am »
Completed assembly of the tail section, hinges, tail wheel and springs, control horns, control rods and both Rudder and Elevator servo's are mounted. I had measured the dimensions of the sevo's for the wings which were good once received and confirmed.....but these servos's did require some enlargement of the fuselage servo pockets for Elevator and Rudder. https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUZ89&P=0

The springs for the tail wheel took me an hour to set up like I wanted...much fiddly.....and I added shrink wrap tubing over the tail wheel control flanges as my wire was sort of "prickly" after fastening them on.

Completed hinges on both wings Aileron and Flaps and all control horns. I wound up with a small gap just to ensure good clear and free control surface motion.

Completed assembly and bolted on the landing gear......Wow - the landing gear is heavy metal stuff!!

I ordered a rectangular double wing bag (42x16x3) from the same place my 80inch Great Planes Escapade wing bags came from:
http://www.hobby-pak.com/index.php/i...etail/cat_id/3

Paul H Lange

Offline Paul Lange

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 12:37:09 pm »
Ya well - I forgot about the dang wing struts...... will impact storage of these wings.....a wing bag is useless for a cub - LOL

Paul H Lange

Offline Paul Lange

• Club Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 01:44:34 pm »
Well - Crap.....why do I have all of these nuts and bolts left?

(Hopefully all will be used on the wing strut assembly)

Paul H Lange

Offline Joystick

• GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 09:03:42 am »
Paul, the "photo police" are going to get you for not resizing your photo to the approved format for this website and for not rotating it to the upright position. It's like looking at an elephant through a soda straw.

I hope you are more careful on your plane build than you are about your photos, I'd hate to see you put the wing on upside down and backwards and have the wing and stab positions reversed.

Don't worry about having extra parts left over, that happens a lot on full-sized planes too. You will easily be able to determine where they were supposed to go and what function they served after the crash.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:06:05 am by Joystick »
CHECK SIX

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Offline Paul Lange

• Club Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 11:34:00 am »
Ha .....I did try to resize the photo....but when I did it would not load again.....oh well at least it rotates correctly after clicking to view it.

Yes good news on the extra parts.....I can readily see now.....when these size R/C Aircraft crash the parts "Should" be easier to find.

As for the wings on the Cub.....it's easy to get them on straight.....all you need is a sharp Dremel cutter to make room for the wheel skirts to fit inside the wings....Piece of Cake !!!

On another note: Is Acetone OK on the covering to try and remove the white residue of CA glue.....I tried fingernail (I mean War Paint) removal, but it did not remove anything......worried about going to pure straight up Acetone

Paul H Lange

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 08:10:51 pm »
You might try just a small bit of acetone on the bottom in inconspicuous area. Also might try some 'debonder'. good luck
Yes, I think Sonny likes to have the photos below about 200 kb.
Darrell Abby

Offline Paul Lange

• Club Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 12:34:25 pm »
Thanks Darrell - Might get to try this tonight

My ARF build is nearly complete.....waited to install the wing servo's until I received some heavier wire servo extensions and.....these fandagled servo connector locks !!

Paul H Lange

Offline Paul Lange

• Club Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 10:54:51 am »
Noticed there seems to be an airfoil to the struts .....I am assuming the "Fat" edge should be positioned as leading edge.

For the 1st time.....I can see where the wing struts could be set up inducing more/or less dihedral.... it's possible to set each wing up differently....

Regarding the wing struts length and thus tension on the wings respectively......
The manual calls to measuring from the strut wingside 12.5 inches from the wing strut end to center of the wing strut slider.....final adjustments are then made via threaded connector ends on the landing gear tabs.

1. If you are deploying the E-flite Power 60 Motor you need the longer prop shaft adapter (part #EFLM1926L) Prop Adapter w/Collet. Otherwise the prop adapter shipped with it is too short and will not have enough threads for the prop nut.
2. I had to use my prop reamer tool to open up the spinner back plate a few mm inset to allow the prop adapter to seat into the back plate...otherwise it was preventing the assembly to screw on tight enough to seat down the compression ring.
3. The back plate is very tight....but it will go on....still you may need to ream out a few mm of the back side as mentioned in #2 above.
4. My prop needed reaming out for proper fitment too

My last steps for this ARF is to fasten in the seats and Johnny Quest Race Bannon, screw on the cockpit window screen, hinge up the top side door, apply the decals, balance the prop and make final check of surface throw and programmed expo.

I found the missing tini-tiny wire crimp used for the stabilizer cable strings - on the floor!!!....will redo those I fashioned with a control rod keeper.

One more thing to note.....the blind nuts for the wing bolt tabs are different sizes.....my left (Port) side is a 3mm bolt.....the right (Starboard) side appear to be a 2.5mm bolt.

I am not confident of the collet system on the prop assembly.....wish I could find a bolt on prop adapter for the E-Flite Power 60.

Still need to get the CA residue off of the plane in places and......perhaps iron out some wrinkles that are just now appearing.

Real close to completing the build and await for a maiden date....could be after Christmas

Paul H Lange
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 12:07:34 pm by Paul Lange »

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 10:18:34 am »
Goodness, that all seems mighty complicated. You sure that's an ARF?
Darrell Abby

Offline Paul Lange

• Club Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 11:54:01 am »
Well not to mention......taking everything apart to wick in CA to every bolt hole in wood....then apply LOCTITE to every metal to metal screw (Motor mount bulkhead and motor mounts) landing gear bolts.

I am still not happy with the servo lead connections......really need longer leads but other than making my own custom wiring.....on the other hand I hate having too many servo connectors.

Receiver to wings Aileron servo:
1. Receiver to "Y" Connector
2. "Y" Connector to Fuselage Servo lead runners
3. Servo Lead runners to Wing servo extension Leads
4. Servo lead extension to servo

So is there much danger or resistance load up with all of these connectors?

Paul H Lange

Offline Joystick

• GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 12:19:38 pm »
Big Dog RC, in Mansfield, can make servo leads any length you want. He can also use heavy wire, up to the max for they type of connector you use.

If you are using analog servos you shouldn't have any problems, if you use digital servos, you may want to go with the heavier wire.

Most of our planes won't exceed a 10 amp load in flight. If you have a big heavy warbird, you may need a power distribution panel.
CHECK SIX

Offline Paul Lange

• Club Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 12:35:50 pm »
Thank you Coroplast Master -

Yep I deployed the Hitec analog metal servo "HS-645MG" for all control surfaces.  Will be running them off of the single source 6s LiPo battery pack via 20amp UBEC (Not the ESC).

Another reason I chose to go Analog was in hopes to avoid a separate battery and all of the associated wiring to that detail....including separate power switch.

The Great Planes Escapade that Mike Cooke set up has the digital servo with isolated power supply....but that plane is running dual 5s LiPo and the motor does in fact eat up that power supply. 

According to other pilots of this airframe.....the single source LiPo for motor and electronics suffers no loss and....flight times are in the range of 8minutes.

Very appreciative for your time showing me your set up and servo's....and the advice to stay simple Analog metal servo!!

Best Regards,
Paul H Lange

Offline Paul Lange

• Club Member
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 12:23:46 pm »
Recent pics attached.  My office is way to small to build anything larger than this bird.....I'm not willing to convert the garage or the barn for builds....so I think 90-100 inches is about as big as I can do.....

Paul H Lange