Author Topic: 30 cc Hanger 9 Spitfire  (Read 5139 times)

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
30 cc Hanger 9 Spitfire
« on: January 06, 2017, 02:30:54 pm »
Here are some comments on the H9 Spitfire Mk IX ARF which I am finishing up. It is 81" span; I mounted a DLE 35 RA engine. I thought I might just assemble this dude and not try to make it super scale but I still ran in to quite a few problems. The ultracoat covering is super; some of the camo and the rondels are painted. It is flat finish but very slick to hold on to. The panel lines and other surface detail is very nice. I made the 3 piece wing into a 1 piece solid wing; the electric E-flite retracts fit pretty well and the gear doors fit real good. The gear seems somewhat beefy but I'm a little worried about durability on grass. I couldn't locate any other retracts. On the other hand the plane weighs only 18 lb 1 oz. That includes the 3 lb 4 oz of lead added up front to balance on the cg. 
The tail wheel is not scale; I think there is one available for $45. The fuse interior has a cut-up configuration making it small even though there is no full cockpit. Just deep enough for bust pilot; I did do some extra work in that area. Three battery configuration was tight. One of the LiFe's is on the engine box with the ignition. I located 3 Electrodynamic switches and the refuel port under the top hatch forward of the canopy. Dowels and magnets hold it on. Wing saddle fit good.
One of my biggest complaints is the flap mechanism configuration. The servos and flap connection is all internal. A wood tab sticks straight forward from the flap leading edge so when the servo retracts the flap it just pulls straight forward with no leverage at all to close the flap up against the wing. This leaves an inconsistant gap. Hopefully both flaps will act the same. (Hard to describe). I made decision not to re-engineer that design; I may be sorry. Here are some pictures.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 02:44:38 pm by dlabby »
Darrell Abby

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
Re: 30 cc Hanger 9 Spitfire
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 02:42:05 pm »
The cowl went on/off real easy until I added the battery/ignition stuff and the 3 lb weight box. Ugh. Four wood screws hold the cowl. I made ducting to encourage the incoming air to hit the cylinder; I may have to open up more exit. The DLE started right away (once I connected the ignition wire...oops). Three more problems:  it shook badly, the weight box held onto the engine standoffs vibrated quite a bit, and the throttle was erratic and jumpy in the low range. I secured the weight into the thick firewall with long wood screws. After considerable testing, I found the receiver channel 3 (throttle) to be bad so I had to disassemble the fuse to replace the receiver. Next I will run the engine with no backplate or spinner; also new props on order. Seven Rx channels isn't really enough; I had to use 'Y' connectors and I have no ignition cut off. The 2nd Rx battery is piggy-backed onto the throttle channel.
More photos when I get her on her gear again.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 02:51:15 pm by dlabby »
Darrell Abby

Online Lane C.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 10:54:10 pm »
The DLE-35 should pull it along nicely. I had that engine on the H9 P-47 with about the same wing span. Most thought it had a DLE-55. My view on "super scale" is that you can't see all that super scale stuff whizzing by at 80 to 90 MPH! But, you CAN have lots of fun out flying instead of hours of tedious detailed building. ha

1. Throttle
2. Ailerons
3. Elevator
4. Rudder
5. Flaps
6. Gear
7. Choke

What else do you need? ha

Offline gunslinger

• Club Member
  • Scale fliers do it on the wing!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 10:34:01 am »
Let's see........

8. Tank/Bomb drop
9. Separate Elevator channel (safety)
10. Separate Aileron channel (differential control)
11. Canopy slide control
12. Sound control
13. Tailwheel channel so it is not working while retracted

There are some other controls and probably some I forgot.......... :D
Tim Lovett

Online Lane C.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 08:45:47 pm »
Items 8. - 13.

There goes the fun-flying time spent, instead, building a (rather heavy) TopGun Warbird! ha
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 08:53:38 pm by Lane C. »

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 03:31:00 pm »
14. Ignition cut off
15. Battery
Darrell Abby

Online Lane C.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 04:38:54 pm »
Darrell, time to go DX18. More channels than you can ever use. I've gone 37 years in RC with merely a 7 channel and just now bought a DX18. Mostly because my DX7's are 10 years old and I want to move along with new equipment. Electronics only last for so long, then maybe start breaking down. But for now, I'm still using it as a glorified 7 channel while testing it out for reliability on my Sr Telemaster. Might as well go high dollar since a radio is the heart of any Warbird! Warbirds cost $2K and more and most radios cost under $1K. I likely won't need another radio for the rest of my flying career.

By the way, a Spitfire is a WARBIRD! not just scale. Ha

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 06:32:34 pm »
Yeah, I couldn't decide whether to use warbird, scale, or ARF section. I have had the Futaba 14 channel for a long time, just wanted to minimize cost of this "go fly" warbird so I didn't buy the $170 14 channel receiver. Used one I had. Choke is manual wire sticking out of the side of the cowl.
Had a good, long engine run in the drive today. Left spinner off and minimum vibration. The weight box seems very secure and the throttle worked good. So next is a maiden with no cowl or spinner. Got some pictures today without the cowl or spinner so it's kinda ugly.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 06:44:56 pm by dlabby »
Darrell Abby

Online Lane C.

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 10:49:32 pm »
Now, the temps are right to fly, just need the winds to die down. Looks like it's gonna be windy till it starts to rain. Ha

Spitty looks fine.

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 12:09:51 pm »
Yes, we ask a lot don't we? Above 50 degrees AND low wind. They say "waves of rain" are coming. Wx always gets less severe as that date approaches. Ha.
Well, the Spit will be ready...whenever. Got the Corsair gear actuator assemble replaced and stiff clunk fixed so she is ready too. And the P-47 needs to fly. Geez. Futaba repair says the bad channel 3 receiver cannot be repaired...trash it.
Lane, what's new on the Mustang?
Darrell Abby

Online Lane C.

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 11:32:29 pm »
P-51 is getting a couple of things fixed that Barry and I found while doing the CG testing. I needed to add a bit more baffle on the side of the engine opposite the muffler to keep the air flowing over the cooling fins rather than going to the side of them. Moved the batteries aft of the cockpit for CG. Need to change one of the flap servo arms as I got a mismatched set - one side extends more than the other. Other than that, just waiting for warm weather to return to paint.

As it turned out, could'a flown today, but I realized the wind had died down about 1pm and by the time I started getting the truck loaded up, wind kinda blew up again out of the North, so I quit loading. But, it never really started to seriously blow, so I could have driven over to the local field and flown the Sr Telemaster with DX18 radio and Rx. Oh well.

Offline Harold Staats

• Club Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 02:40:10 pm »

Darrell,
I just want to cry looking at all that lead in the front of your beautiful plane. :'(
I know it will fly alright with it, but just how wonderful it would be without it!!
Harold

Offline Paul Lange

• Club Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 02:45:17 pm »
Wow - sounds like we may have lot's of winter birds to see out in the spring!!
I have just completed modifications of some super nice Oleo struts on my 1600mm (63inch) F7F-3.  Trying to decide on what livery it should fly as.....then add my clear coat.....for maiden day...

https://youtu.be/_s2a8DHBEw8

Paul H Lange
Best Regards - Paul H Lange

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 04:41:45 pm »
Well, that total video was awesome. These planes coming out now do bring up the "why build?" question. Geez. The pilot demonstrator is one of the best I've seen--explains a lot while demoing. Videographer very good, too. Looking forward to seeing this at the field!
Darrell Abby

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 07:32:22 pm »
Maiden flight on the spitfire today. Ideal conditions. Tail wheel fell off on takeoff.  :-[ So far it doesn't feel overpowered on T/O. Quite a lot of aileron and elevator trimming but once it got leveled out power is good; I don't think I really opened her up fully. CG seems to be good. On the flap test at altitude it rolled deliberately to the right so made a fast, good, no flap landing. Right flap was inop; the little tab broke off that's in the front of the flap so it was unhooked from the servo. Thanks to Barry for spotting. Back to the maintenance hanger.
Darrell Abby