Author Topic: Twin Franken-Cardboard Monster  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Joystick

• GSWAM Forum Member
Twin Franken-Cardboard Monster
« on: November 11, 2016, 06:39:45 am »
I don't know what has happened to my brain. Maybe it's the chemo, or maybe I slipped and fell and hit my head and can't remember, but I have a dilemma.

After building the "Bell Hop, AKA the Faux Cat", I swore off building planes forever, because it was such a royal pain and took me five years to finish. But for some reason, I have the bug again.

It may all be Paul Lang's fault with his stupid Sea Duck project.

Due to a series of unfortunate happenings, I have TWO identical 30cc gas engines.

I also have access, sort of, to a lot of cardboard. Big pieces. Big long pieces. No, way longer than that. About 400 feet long. Okay, 1,000 pounds.

Anyway. A long time ago, when there was a "shortage" of everything, even toilet paper, some of us started building planes from cardboard since we couldn't get balsa. No Lawrence, we didn't use cardboard for toilet paper. Don't make me get off subject.

The idea that keeps rolling around in my head is that I need to build a big twin cardboard plane. Oh yeah, did I mention cheap? It needs to be cheap.

The Sea Duck plans look pretty inviting. Except I hate seaplanes. The basic outline and moment arms should be okay.

Using my engineering TLAR math, I'm getting a plane with an 11.614 foot wingspan and a weight of 24.714 pounds. Eight horsepower should be just about right, I won't even need the tuned pipes on the engines.

I have the engines, I have the cardboard. What could possibly go wrong with this project?

Hopefully, the bug will go away before I get started building this "Twin Franken-Cardboard Monster."
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Offline Paul Lange

• Club Member
Re: Twin Franken-Cardboard Monster
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 01:27:56 pm »
Build it...build it...build it.....I think the foamboard with well placed CF rodding should be considered

Paul Lange
Best Regards - Paul H Lange

Offline Sonny Coleman

• Administrator
  • Web Forum Admin
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 03:43:17 pm »
Yep, a couple G62s would pull the paper airplane nicely! :D
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it"
John Ruskin

Offline Paul Lange

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 08:49:07 pm »
One good flight is all you need anyway - LOL

Paul

Offline Joystick

• GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 08:55:13 pm »
Build it...build it...build it.....I think the foamboard with well placed CF rodding should be considered

Paul Lange

Foamboard was not a consideration. I don't have any, I have cardboard. I also have two 30cc Syssa engines. I don't want to start over with all new, or different stuff that I don't have, that would not be cheap, that would be expensive.
CHECK SIX

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Offline Joystick

• GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 05:52:14 pm »
A big, fat, overpowered, highly-modified OV-10?
CHECK SIX

Offline Paul Lange

• Club Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 10:32:58 am »
I think any twin boom box end tail type would do well as the structure lends itself to a very solid airframe....OV-10, P-38 or variation thereof

Build it ....build it build it

I am really enjoying my FT SeaDuck...flying off of water every chance I can since discovering the Watauga Capps Park waterway.  This airframe was already fun on grass field!!!!

Paul H Lange

Offline Joystick

• GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 04:52:23 pm »

I am really enjoying my FT SeaDuck...flying off of water every chance I can since discovering the Watauga Capps Park waterway.  This airframe was already fun on grass field!!!!

Paul H Lange

I wondered where you were, haven't seen you at the field in quite a while.

I'd like to see your SeaDuck and get some ideas on how to build with foamboard, it will be similar to cardboard. It has been so long since I used cardboard, I forgot how I did some of the construction. I may use a lot of hot glue since I've been spoiled by the CA glues.
CHECK SIX

Offline Paul Lange

• Club Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 09:22:44 am »
Steve I have been out of town recently...then it was raining....then out of town....then I have been flying off of the water...then the winds were too high...then was out of town........wash rinse repeat.

Here is the video of how I built my SeaDuck.....it's not a SCRATCH build since it is all laser cut punch out components- However it is an intensive build with lots of bends, folds, bends, shaping that must be done in sequential steps via Hot-Glue.  I would not have even attempted without this build video and studying it often before committing three full evenings to complete it....and another afternoon to paint it - LOL

Flite-Test video is excellent....detailed in every way.....I like the fact it's a "real-time" build and not a pictoral guessing game.......
 https://youtu.be/24e7bR8cVbA

Paul H Lange
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 10:23:54 am by Paul Lange »