Author Topic: Old Dog Gets New Firewall and More  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Lane C.

• Club Member
Old Dog Gets New Firewall and More
« on: September 10, 2016, 02:18:37 pm »
Picked up the Old Dog from Barry and planned on running my DLE-55RA on her to test that it still runs OK after being on the Zero for several years.  But, when I looked at the firewall, it was Swiss Cheese! The entire area around the firewall was cracked and about ready to fall apart. Not sure how she held together all this time. So I tapped on the firewall with a small hammer and it came right out of the fuselage. No turning back after that. Going to install new 1/4" plywood sidewalls and THEN a new firewall thats got some support behind it.

Yikes!

Really eaten up firewall.

After some cleanup.

More cleanup.

New sidewall fitted to shape and 30 minute epoxied in place.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:21:25 pm by Lane C. »

Offline Barry Ponder

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum member
Re: Old Dog Gets New Firewall
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 03:47:13 pm »
Way to go Lane. Give that old Dog some new tricks.  Ha. She will live on.  Barry

Offline Lane C.

• Club Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 05:46:19 pm »
Still going. Got both sides and the lower made and glued in place. Pretty tired so I quit for the day.

Lots of clamps.

Good, clean, plywood, well glued, support all the way around. Firewall can now be glued in with triangle stock along all the corners.

Offline Lane C.

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 04:04:56 pm »
Made a lot of progress today. It's drilled for a DLE-55RA and a MVVS 80. It's considerably stronger than before. Need to reinstall the throttle servo and gas tank. Might as well redo the wing bolt-down area at the same time, it's kinda wimpy.

Offline Lane C.

• Club Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 07:19:19 pm »
Done quite a bit since the last post.

The old wing hold-down setup was pretty cheesy. Was cut out and began anew. Had a piece of white pine I cut into triangle stock and used it heavily in the new wing hold-down mount.

Made a new top cover. It's trapped by the plywood behind the firewall and two screws at the aft end.

Cover has a plywood lip mounted on the underside that slides into place on the fuselage plywood.

The cover is placed on top of the opening and then slid full-forward into position.

Wing bolts were (past tense) in at an angle which made the top look good, but made the 1/4-20 T-Nuts mount at an odd angle. Rather than work in the blind, I made the T-Nuts mount 90 degrees to the plywood and made the top of the wing at an odd angle. Oh well, you cannot say it hurts the looks of the Old Dog! haha

Not to mention the wing was mounted at a very crooked angle, not square, and not centered with the fuselage. Whew! Once you open up that can of worms ....

With some paint, Old Dog might look OK once again!

That's the DLE-55 RA I had in the CMP Zero. Going to test it one day if I get the Old Dog assembled again.

Offline Barry Ponder

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum member
Re: Old Dog Gets New Firewall and More
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 02:00:59 pm »
She never looked so good... ;D way to give her new life.. :)                                     Barry

Offline Lane C.

• Club Member
Re: Old Dog Gets New Firewall and More
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 08:16:07 pm »
Between rebuilding the riding mower, mowing, and a few other things, I have worked the Old Dog a small amount. Painted on a layer of Z-Poxy on the top cover to seal the balsa and stiffen it up a bit. Next, primed it with grey sanding primer. Needs a coat or two green paint. It's about ready to mount the ignition unit, gas tank and Rx to get her in the air.