Author Topic: Giant S-Bach Project  (Read 7525 times)

Offline Lane C.

Giant S-Bach Project
« on: October 02, 2015, 03:31:56 pm »
Doing the assembly of a Giant Scale S-Bach for a club member. It's going to be powered by a large 100cc equivalent motor.

First thing is fitting the new motor. Engine box had to be extended for the motor which isn't quite as large as the gas engine setup. New 1/4" plywood sides were made and dry fitted with the firewall before making the actual firewall and gluing into place.

The factory firewall was drilled to fit the motor and put in place to see where it would finally go in the new setup. Spinner added to line up with upper and lower cowls. A bit of positioning and the location was dialed in and the firewall temporarily screwed in place. Cowls fitted and looks good.

Offline Lane C.

Re: Giant S-Bach Project
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 09:25:15 pm »
Had to go in and beef up the firewall. The Pilot ARF supplied the aluminum corners and I used them with the new plywood firewall. Added a plywood reinforcement across the top of the firewall to keep it rigid. Very solid now.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 11:13:39 am »
Got the ESC situated and screwed down. Next, thinned out 30 minute epoxy and painted it on all the new work to add a bit of toughness to the wood.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 10:31:46 pm »
Worked a bit more on the cooling of the ESC. Made a tunnel for the air to flow along and it will dump out under the cockpit where there is an access panel for the servos and radio gear.

This is a 250 AMP rated ESC which could generate a fair amount of heat. I feel cooling the ESC is more important than cooling the motor.

Perspective view.

Head on view.

Perspective view.

You can see thru the scale carburetor air intake all the way thru the tunnel to the cockpit bulkhead. I think the ESC is removed in this shot.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 05:24:07 pm »
When the air comes in, it needs a way out. I decided not to cut a hole into the lower cowl and used a hatch that was already cut into the bottom fuselage for radio and servo access. I made a new hatch out of 1/32 plywood and cut a 3.5" hole in there to be the air exit. Also made a pressure lip to help pull air out the fuselage. The lip creates a low pressure area behind it and forces the air out. This will be for flight and the factory hatch will be for ground static showing. Once painted black, it won't be noticed inflight.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 05:39:29 pm »
Got to the back end of the bird. Tailwheel and rudder install. All went pretty easy. Horizontal is on for fitment to make sure the rudder horns miss the elevator. Yep, they missed.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:51:08 pm by Lane C. »

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 04:02:23 pm »
Finished the rudder install today. I wasn't allowed to use the stock servo location as a full cockpit is going in with two pilots and the whole works. The red tape is as far forward as I was allowed to go. So, built a framework out of spruce spars and made a plywood platform for the servo to mount to. Then screwed down the platform and called it good. Pull-pull wires are pretty much standard.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 10:01:08 pm »
Plugging away at the tail end. Got the horizontals done today.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 11:37:00 pm »
On the Gear!

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 06:47:27 pm »
Got the 27.5 x 12 Biela prop and spinner backplate drilled out today. Ran the motor with this prop on 12S - WOW. Lot'sa power there.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 07:30:57 pm »
Got the wings done today. Two servos in each aileron. Seems to work well. Ready to do a CG balance next week.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 02:01:54 pm »
Got the wings on today. A bit of work fitting the carbon fiber wing tubes into the wings and fuselage, but one hour's worth of sanding them down did the trick. Other than that, wings went on smoothly.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 08:11:06 am »
Got the S-Bach CG'd yesterday and to my surprise, she was not tail heavy at all. In fact, she was more forward than 25 percent MAC. That's 2 inches more forward than the suggested CG for this plane. So, she won't have any ugly lead weights to hamper her on her flights. Now, it's just a matter of installing some power switches and she's done.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 07:40:42 pm »
Got the main motor 6s 5000 MaH Lipo's mounted with plenty of Velcro. Also, got one of the Flight Control Battery switches mounted to the fuselage side. The plane can fly one just one set of Lipo's like the photo shows, but for longer flights, another set is mounted on top of the present set in parallel.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 04:12:13 pm »
And, we have a 3 bladed prop and spinner. All props and spinners now balanced. Just about done with the entire project.