Author Topic: Kadet MKII Conversion from Nitro to Electric  (Read 4828 times)

Offline Joystick

• GSWAM Forum Member
Kadet MKII Conversion from Nitro to Electric
« on: August 09, 2015, 07:22:13 pm »
I have been thinking about converting my Sig Senorita from the old Saito 56 Four Stroke engine to electric for a couple of years, but have been to lazy to get er done. Getting tired of keeping up with starters, glow plugs, nitro fuel, and the mess of all the oil from the engine. Gas and electrics have me spoiled.

While over at Roy's getting some other stuff, I noticed an old Kadet hanging on the ceiling. It was an old kit built plane, with radio, receiver, servos, and the guy only wanted $75 for it. Anyway, it would cost almost that much for me to tear off the old covering, recover, and paint the old Senorita. The radio is a 1991 Futaba, I won't use it, or the servos. I'll put my old Futaba in it. The plane looks like it is well built and it is lighter than my Senorita, so it should be a great fun flier.

I'm going with pull-pull controls on the rudder and elevator to save a little weight and move some weight up front. Also, converting it from trike gear to a taildragger. Love taildraggers, especially on our grass field.

Will start with the Rimfire .32 45-50-800 motor and 45 Amp ESC and 3S 2200mA battery to make it compatable with my Cub. I want this primarily for a training and knock around plane, so I don't need 3-D performance.

CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Offline Joystick

• GSWAM Forum Member
Re: Kadet MKII Conversion from Nitro to Electric
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 08:07:11 pm »
Got the pull-pulls for the elevator, rudder and tail wheel finished.

Also, got the ailerons hooked up using two servos instead of the one on the original hookup. I wanted to have a flaperon function just for fun.
CHECK SIX

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool. For Herb: All facts have not been personally verified by me for accuracy. Use them at your own risk.

Offline Joystick

• GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 08:31:41 am »
I get pretty solid 10 min. flights. Most of my flying is done at 1/2 throttle. I did a bunch of touch-n-goes this afternoon and still managed to get in 10 min flight times.

I don't use wide open throttle, usually the plane is airborne in 20 or 30 feet with 3/4 throttle and will do a gentle climb out at 1/2 to 1/3 throttle.
Did the maiden flight yesterday AM and again, after some more mods, in the PM. It is a great flier.

Mods to the plane were: Cut a hatch on top of the cowl for the battery, it needs to go as far forward as possible to keep the plane from being really tail heavy. I have flown it at 3-1/2" CG but would not recommend it. 2-3/4" to 3" is way better. Changed the wing hold-down to a bolt-on type, added three nylon bolts. I put the rudder and elevator servos close to the CG. Further forward would be better. I used pull-pull cables on the rudder and elevator. I removed the nose wheel and put in a steerable tail wheel, with pull-pull wires to the rudder servo. I put the motor on some aluminum standoffs that are fairly heavy. I also have a large spinner to get the CG where I wanted it. I took the single aileron servo out of the wing and put two servos side by side to give me flaperons. The flaps are only mildly effective, I wouldn't recommend doing that mod, I may undo it. The rudder is really effective. I have pretty heavy fiberglass landing gear and a relative heavy tail wheel assembly.

The plane, without the battery, is right at 5 lbs.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 08:34:18 am by Joystick »
CHECK SIX

Offline Paul Lange

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 01:30:13 pm »
Flies really nice from my perspective.....the color scheme and large wheels fit the airframe nicely......looks like it lands like a butterfly with sore feet.  Suggest those landings have a lot to do with pilot skills as well as it being a well balanced airframe......

Good candidate for some LED's - LOL

Paul H Lange
Best Regards - Paul H Lange