Author Topic: Bavarian Demon Cortex Gyro for airplanes  (Read 6086 times)

Offline Glenn Williams

• Club Member
Bavarian Demon Cortex Gyro for airplanes
« on: August 10, 2014, 09:49:05 pm »
I have purchased a Demon Cortex gyro to install in my new Redwing 30cc SBACH. I will review and upload pictures as I can.

Glenn

Offline Glenn Williams

• Club Member
Re: Bavarian Demon Cortex Gyro for airplanes
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 06:52:46 pm »
Made it home for 1 day and opened the box on the Demon Gyro. Pretty impressive how it is packaged. I did not have much time other than to do an inventory and visual inspection.

Will post more pictures when I am instaling it in the SBACH.

Glenn

Offline Glenn Williams

• Club Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 11:06:41 pm »
Some technical info for setup.

On a Futaba R6014HS receiver the pulse or signal pin is on the top row of pins. The middle row is + and the bottom pins are negative. When connecting the wiring loom from the gyro to the receiver there are 6 wires. Only the first 2 wires are three wire plugs, they are red, white and black. Those would be the A and B wires. Then you have 4 single wire connections, they are orange, yellow, green and grey. The orange, yellow and green are for C,D and E channels that go to your receiver. The servos that would go into the receiver that you are going to stabilize are now connected to the gyro in slots A,B,C,D and E. The servos need to be installed to the gyro the way they were removed from the receiver.

All single wire connections need to be installed with the wire on the pulse pin which is the top row of pins.

Next up the "AUX" wire can be installed in any open slot and that slot needs to be assigned to a 3 way switch. In essence the aux wire is where the gyro gets it's signal from the receiver.

The Futaba 14SG radio has the capability to assign any switch to any channel and you can designate a trim function as well. The transmitter also has a gyro function.

As I am installing the gyro in my plane! I will post programming progress as I can.

Anyone who has tips, comments. They are all welcome here.

Glenn

Offline gunslinger

• Club Member
  • Scale fliers do it on the wing!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 01:05:26 pm »
Any more activity on this????
Tim Lovett

Offline Glenn Williams

• Club Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 12:24:53 am »
Yes sir. It is one awesome piece of engineering. Flying with it in my SBACH and it just allows the airplane to fly on rails. Currently on rate mode at 25% with winds at 10 mph and variable. Take off with the gyro turned off and the airplane can be seen buffeting by the wind. Although the airplane flies fine it just does not have that "locked" in feel. Flip the switch to low rate and it is gyro on wind off. Rock steady up and down lines place her on the path you choose and she will maintain it. Does not fly for you but makes for beautiful lines.

Working my nerve up to perform a hover in hold mode. I was on downwind the other day and went to hold and was impressed with the gyro's ability to hold the heading and attitude hands free. Pilot workload is reduced as well during landing, back to low rate you have to fly the airplane to landing which we all do anyway, but what I mean is with the gyro off during final the nose will drop as you reduce throttle and this is normal. With the gyro on when you turn base to final and reduce power the gyro will maintain the heading you put the plane on. So you have to apply a little down elevator and adjust the glide with engine power. Making this sound real hard but it is really easy to do when flying.

No regrets on this purchase.

Glenn

Offline Harold Staats

• Club Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 12:55:08 pm »
Glenn,
What's the price for this Cortex Gyro?
Harold Staats

Offline Glenn Williams

• Club Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 04:04:12 pm »
Around 350 or so, and in my opinion, worth every penny.

Glenn

Offline Sonny Coleman

• Administrator
  • Web Forum Admin
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 05:34:54 pm »
Hey Harold,

Link to Chief Aircraft:http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-control/power-systems/bavarian-demon/bd-cortex.html

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it"
John Ruskin