Author Topic: Futaba 14SG  (Read 6090 times)

Offline Glenn Williams

• Club Member
Futaba 14SG
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:24:24 pm »
Hey guys:
               Been doing a lot of research and have narrowed my search down to the Futaba 14SG transmitter. Was wondering if anyone in our group is currently flying with one? I like the capability of the radio and the S.BUS feature looks promising as well. Looking for comments good or bad.

Thanks
           Glenn

Offline Sonny Coleman

• Administrator
  • Web Forum Admin
Re: Futaba 14SG
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 09:45:08 am »
Glenn,
I purchased a Futaba 14SGA radio set this past December and used it for a couple months and found it to be a very good radio system, but ended up selling it and getting a Futaba 18MZ setup.
The 14SG talks all the major Futaba receiver communication protocols like FASST, S-FHSS, and FASSTest (for telemetry), and the rubber grips on the back make the radio feel secure and comfortable to hold when flying. Programming was easy enough to figure out, but I still bought a 14SG Kindle book (much more detailed than the included manual) to learn all the ins-and-outs of the radio.
The only thing that I had an issue with was the smallish LCD screen, and the spin dial selector took a bit to get used to.
The 14SG is a very nice radio overall, and another one to consider is JR's XG14.

Hope this helps,

Sonny

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it"
John Ruskin

Offline Glenn Williams

• Club Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 10:35:50 am »
Thanks Sonny, I would like to have the 18MZ but my wallet says no, lol. Since my last radio was the JR9503, I was thinking that the screen size would not be a problem. I will continue to look though and you never know what may come my way. As soon as I pull the trigger I will post it here.

Glenn

Offline Glenn Williams

• Club Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 07:24:59 am »
Well boys. I bought my Futaba 14SG last night. Gimbals are smooth as butter and it is a giant step up from the JR9503 I had. Can't wait to get on the sticks with this new radio. Here are some pictures. Enjoy.

Glenn

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 02:19:23 pm »
I bought the Futaba 14SG couple months ago too.  I am ready to start transitioning over my models. Got to check to see if there is a gang bang method to transfer data.
Darrell Abby

Offline gunslinger

• Club Member
  • Scale fliers do it on the wing!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 01:09:26 pm »
I got one of these now!

I am getting ready with the first of my planes.  From everything Ive seen, I think I will like it very much.

I have been very satisfied with my Airtronics 10 channel, but Airtronics is not developing any transmitters with more channels.  We are now finding a need for the additional channels.  Hence the move to Futaba!  Sorry, Airtronics!
Tim Lovett

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 09:36:37 pm »
I am pleased with my T14SG.  It took a while to make the programming break-thru. But I now have all my planes switched over.
Darrell Abby

Offline Mike Kopf

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 06:52:13 pm »
I was thinking about the 14SG as well. How does the programming lingo compare to the 10C? Been flying 10C's for years but ready to make a jump up.

Offline gunslinger

• Club Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 02:36:55 pm »
Mike,

It is pretty much similar to the 10.  I have a 10 and the 14.  You will be able to find your way around in the 14 without much trouble.
Tim Lovett

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 11:22:39 am »
Weeelllll, I would have to disagree a little bit. The method of data input is different. Some guys are finding the rotating scroll touch ring hard to use.  The same menu items are in there but the outline and how to get to those items is different. Once I made a couple of breakthroughs, things flowed pretty easy.  I think the manual leaves a lot to be desired.  There is no search index in the back if you want to find the page number of a specific topic!!  I filled mine with tabs so I can find stuff.  After all that, I like it!
Darrell Abby

Offline gunslinger

• Club Member
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 08:59:02 pm »
I think the manual leaves a lot to be desired.  There is no search index in the back if you want to find the page number of a specific topic!!  I filled mine with tabs so I can find stuff. <Darrell>

Yeah, I heard you older guys do things like that......... ::)
Tim Lovett