Author Topic: Marquart Charger MA-5 Biplane Build  (Read 667 times)

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
Marquart Charger MA-5 Biplane Build
« on: September 18, 2018, 09:38:51 pm »
After 2-3 months of off and on research, I have chosen this one for my next build. Johnny Hunt had the plans and it looked like something I could do and it is similar to the Skybolt. This is a homebuilt; about 100 have been built. The Walt Moucha plans are 1/4 scale 73" span weighing in about 17 lb. Had trouble getting from plans to a CADD file for a laser cut kit. Lasercutusa made a short kit--very short, not much to it. I might as well have cut it out myself except for the numerous ribs. Got lots of parts ordered; just received a box of lumber from National balsa. I have made contact with Mark Gilmore who spent over 19 years building this one. It won EAA Grand Champion at Oshkosh in 2009. He has sent me a bunch of pictures to help with the build. Then picture of 'short kit' and the first gluing session tonight.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 09:42:42 pm by dlabby »
Darrell Abby

Offline Lane C.

• Club Member
Re: Marquart Charger MA-5 Biplane Build
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 08:44:59 am »
Looks like a big build - two wings! Keep us posted, Darrell. What engine?

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 06:57:46 pm »
Not sure yet. 45 cc would be about right. I think 35 would not be very aerobatic. So looking at DA 50 or DLE 55 RA if I beef up the fire wall area.
Darrell Abby

Offline Joystick

• GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 07:44:32 pm »
Not sure yet. 45 cc would be about right. I think 35 would not be very aerobatic. So looking at DA 50 or DLE 55 RA if I beef up the fire wall area.

My Coroplast biplane has two 72" wings, weighs 17 lbs and has good vertical on a DLE-35 with a 19x8 prop. It's also very aerobatic. You can try it out to see how it behaves for yourself.

If you add more power it would have unlimited vertical for sure.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 08:53:25 am »
Well, great. I see your post after I order a DA-50 and Pitts wrap around muffler.
Darrell Abby

Offline Joystick

• GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 10:15:30 am »
That will be perfect for 3-D flying, or Reno Air Races.

My plane will fly with two clicks of throttle. Scale speed at 1/4.

With a DA-50 you should be able to get perfect scale speed with the engine off.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 10:18:23 am by Joystick »
CHECK SIX

Offline Joystick

• GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 04:36:53 pm »
Well, great. I see your post after I order a DA-50 and Pitts wrap around muffler.

On second thought, I think you will be okay with just a small change to the recommended prop.

According to my engineering TLAR math, if you go with a 20x1.5 prop, that pitch will keep the speed down nicely.

Of course, since it's not a standard size, you may need to carve it yourself.
CHECK SIX

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 02:41:07 pm »
Plugging along with wood cutting, sanding, and gluing. So far I have used only one former out of the "short kit", modified a couple and had to cut the rest from scratch. Got vertical fin and rudder formed up. Received a gorgeous DA 50 yesterday. After I get the wrap around muffler I can go back to the front end and figure out the firewall modifications. Look ma', we have a fuselage.

Darrell Abby

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 04:08:24 pm »
This past week I got the horizontal stab and elevator made. Elevator is connected in the center but I think I will put still use 2 servos. Spent a lot of time adding the side stingers and sanding/ forming the fuse curvature and blending in to wing saddle. Got the custom 1/8" aluminum gear so added the mounting plywood in fuse. Still waiting on muffler so I can get back to firewall, etc. Pictures next time.
Darrell Abby

Offline Joystick

• GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 07:57:28 am »
I don't understand why that plane should weigh 17 lbs. My Lazy Ace plane is about the same size and it's made from really heavy coroplast material with 3/4" pine ribs and yardstick spars.
CHECK SIX

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 10:23:45 am »
Duh...I don't know. Plans list it as 16.5 lb. It sure does look/feel light at this point. Got aluminum gear mounted. The wheel fiberglass pants are very roundish so going to have to modify to obtain a flat mounting spot. Waiting on the Robart 4" wheels/tires, too. Also have defective part in the tailwheel assembly. Just reminded myself so will go call right now.
Darrell Abby

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 09:46:20 am »
I feel bad; this is weird. I swept the wood shavings on the shop floor and as I was scooping it up I found the collett (that goes in the steering arm) that fell out of the tail wheel packaging. This part is less than 1/4". MECOA was kind enough t send me one--now I have 2. If I hadn't called I would not have found it (Murphy's Corollary). Well I spent part of 4 days last week modifying the wheel pants so as to have a flat spot that mounts onto the aluminum gear. Hand made trial and error plywood/balsa pieces and Hi-solled them in. See pictures. Blind nuts on inside for the pants attachment bolts. In the end, I am happy with the gear and pants being vertical and in alignment with fuse longitudinal axis. Used bondo to smooth the add-on into the fiberglass pant. I used 6 oz cloth and Z-poxy to cover the mounting area; should be strong. Four inch Robart wheels/tires are nice; aluminum wheel with brass bushing will last a lot longer than cheap plastic wheels. Still no muffler so starting to lay up the bottom wing center section which is width of fuse; then from there, there is a 1 degree dihedral and wing sweep back, too. The kit cut ribs are not working; what a confusing mess. In addition the plans do not have any rib caps and I want to add them. And I don't like his dihedral ply brace so I am adding a 1/2" aluminum wing tube. He has no strength at all across the wing center section. I guess the box configuration of all the biplane cabanes is supposed to hold it all together.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 09:53:06 am by dlabby »
Darrell Abby

Offline Joystick

• GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 09:11:19 am »
I've used this to make cap strips so I don't need to cut down the ribs to make room for the thickness of the caps. It also irons on, I use my monokote trim iron, which makes it quick and easy.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Actual-0-75-in-x-6-in-x-25-ft-Natural-Birch-Veneer-Edging/3603330

It is also good to reinforce joints without adding much weight. Just super glue it in place. It is easy to cut to shape with scissors or a knife and is fairly flexible.
CHECK SIX

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 01:51:48 pm »
OK, Steve, you must read my mind, please, and make these suggestions before I spend hours at work. What a great idea. I used this edging all the time when making furniture.
Darrell Abby

Offline Lane C.

• Club Member
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 06:04:54 pm »
Darrell, looks like a builder's weekend! Rain Rain Rain! Oh well, there will be sunshine aplenty later on.