Author Topic: 125 Inch Pilatus Porter PC-6 Kit  (Read 737 times)

Offline Lane C.

Re: 125 Inch Pilatus Porter PC-6 Kit
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2018, 03:02:32 pm »
Barry, Glad you are ready to get out of the house! Won't be long till you can escape! ha

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2018, 07:10:29 pm »
Glassed the elevators today. Just about done with glassing. Finished rudder as well. Next will move to covering the wings with Sig Coverall.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2018, 06:16:29 am »
Getting done with the glassing. Added the fences to the horizontal tail and gave them a coating of Z-Poxy to seal them up. Sanded down the cowl to remove the gloss paint in prep for the grey primer. Will start the wing covering with Sig Coverall next.

I'm not exactly sure why they added the fences on the H tail. It appears that they are there to keep the elevator counter-balances "clean," but that's just a guess. Fences are usually on the wings.

I've been spending a fair amount of time looking for photos of the top and bottom of the wing. I want to see how the US ARMY markings are used. Finally found a plastic model of the Porter to go by. Plastic Modelers are usually very accurate on their markings. Photo shows how the top and bottom wing is marked. The opposite wing half gets the Star and Bar. Cassie Graphics should be able to make these paint masks easily.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 06:27:59 am by Lane C. »

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2018, 06:59:57 pm »
Got some seats made for the cockpit. Pilot needed something to anchor him and one seat woulda looked strange. Guess I'll get going on covering the wings next.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2018, 02:00:44 pm »
Now to wing covering. Had a low spot on the left wing where the trailing edge and flap meet. Filled it with Dolphin Glaze. Then, sanded all the wing parts with a foam sander and gave them 3 coats of Nitrate dope thinned 2.5 to 1. Sanded them in between coats. Dried very fast. Now, to get the Sig Coverall cut and prime the wood with Sig Stick It. Been a while since I used Coverall. Will start with a flap or aileron.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2018, 06:51:35 pm »
Kept at it this afternoon. Covered one flap with Koverall. Then laid on 2 coats of Nitrate out of the can with a brush. Probably should be thinning that out as well. Went OK. Koverall is a LOT easier to handle than the glass cloth. Glass cloth gets snags and runs like crazy. Koverall is actually pretty tough stuff. It's very close to full scale aircraft covering, I would bet. I pulled out the cutting mats and bumped them together for the Koverall.