Author Topic: Meister Zeke Build  (Read 8437 times)

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
Re: Meister Zeke Build
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2018, 09:22:40 am »
A laid out wooden rib wing is a beautiful sight. Yes I see your notch problem. But fixable; just take longer than it should. Building takes lot of patience. Your work just seems so much 'neater' than mine.
Darrell Abby

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2018, 11:49:50 am »
Thanks for the comments, Darrell. I don't know, sometimes I feel like it's neat work and sometimes not. This left wing is coming along like the left wing on the Porter - pure Hell! Some of it's my fault, some Meister's. If I can push on thru this wing half, I will be on easy street with the other half. But as of this morning, still fitting, not gluing. Ha

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2018, 06:03:14 pm »
I got things worked out and have glued up the ribs and some spars. It's proceeding slowly. Got a few pics of the progress.

Also, glued in the shear webbing on the aft side of the main spar. Forward side of spar has to wait until the bottom is sheeted to get the shear webbing.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 06:07:26 pm by Lane C. »

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2018, 07:50:15 pm »
Bit more done on the wing today. Added some balsa leading and trailing edges around the aileron and cut the pre-leading edge from 1/8" balsa sheet. This goes on before the 1 inch thick leading edge which is sanded to shape. The pre-leading edge is behind the yellow level to keep it straight. It glues against the very front of the ribs. The kit I just built, the Porter, simply blows the Meister kit away. Hard to believe the Chinese can deliver such a nice well engineered kit you can assemble WITHOUT ANY PLANS! And the Meister is hard to build even WITH PLANS!

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2018, 07:10:15 pm »
I pulled the wing off the plans today. Looks pretty good. Glad to have gotten this far. Quite an improvement from last January. Needs a bit more work, but it is strong enough to move around off the plans. I think I will build the right half before I go on with the left so I can look at what I did for the left wing before sheeting over it.

Last photo shows some building aids I found at the local salvage shop on Hiway 199. The owner buys all his stuff from Lockheed Martin. All steel and heavy. $5 each piece. The 90 degree steel blocks make good rib holders while doing a glue up and weigh 2.5 pounds each. The black steel chunks just make good weights for whatever use and weigh 8.5 pounds each. Their flat bottoms and 90 degree sides make for good hold downs. Not sure what they were made for, but they are brand new and came in a cardboard box complete with heavy bolts. Might have been ordered for some machine hold downs or for the machining of large parts. No telling what Lockheed Martin paid for them!

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2018, 04:56:01 pm »
Started the right wing today by making the bottom sheeting out of 48 inch balsa @ 1/8" thick. I added 10 inches to the first three sheets for the long wing of the A6M3 Model 22. Last two sheets were shorter as the trailing edge tapered off.

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2018, 07:06:21 pm »
All looks good to me.
Darrell Abby

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2018, 06:48:06 pm »
Small progress today. Marked the sheeting with rib locations, cut out the aileron and split flap, laid some balsa strips, and dry fit a few ribs. Also, laid down the main spar bottom.

Offline Barry Ponder

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum member
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2018, 09:20:19 pm »
Time to start a fire in the fireplace. Itís winter. No fall just rain and cold winter. Ha
Barry. Plenty of time to work on projects. Or Sleep. Long until spring.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2018, 10:12:35 pm »
I wish I had a fireplace! Ha.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2018, 09:47:57 am »
Had to make another fix on the parts kit item. The wing joiner was not cut symmetrical which kinda changes the way it fits inside the first 6 ribs. So, I carefully measured the angle of dangle on the left side I just worked and copied those dimensions over to the right. Fairly disappointed in the Meister wood kit.

In the first pic, a close up shot, you can see the black line. All the wood under that line needed to be removed. I took a small hand plane and trimmed it. That pine wasn't quite as easy to cut as balsa.

In the last shot, you can see how the ribs are cut to allow the joiner to slide thru each one. At the wing root, the cuts are very deep, leaving almost no material to hold the rib together.

Also, you can see how the wing joiner fits inside the ribs on a slant. Kinda of a crzy way to build a wing, but I suppose it works.

Offline Joystick

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2018, 04:01:03 pm »
Is that going to be a one-piece wing?

It looks odd to only have one wing joiner.

I would do a line-bore through four of the root ribs on each wing and put in a 1/2" to 1" aluminum tube toward the rear of the wing.
CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2018, 05:36:06 pm »
Steve, nope, it's two-piece. Otherwise, would have to have a trailer to haul a one-piece 118 inch wing!

Here's a shot I just made late this afternoon. Managed to get the first 7 ribs on the right wing glued down and put the left wing on there. Just to see if both halves lined up - and they do.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2018, 05:47:31 pm »
A little work every day gets the job done. Not much today, but something. Added the last 7 ribs and then added the inner and top spars. The inner spar is between the top and bottom spars that run the length of the wing. The inner spar keeps the wing joiner spar in place and "creates" the dihedral angle. Like I've said before, a crazy way to design a wing.

Offline Lane C.

« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2018, 05:58:49 pm »
Got the right wing stable enough to lift off the plans and slide on the left wing. Lots more to do on both halves.