Author Topic: Barry's Engine Shop  (Read 2185 times)

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
Barry's Engine Shop
« on: January 30, 2017, 07:24:01 pm »
Barry's engine shop has been doing some work for me lately. My old Saito 100 has gone thru about 6 sets of bearings, has a LOT of time on it, and was not running. With all the 'down' time lately Barry tore into this Saito. Mr. nitro mechanic thinks we need cam gear, tappets, carb gasket set, engine gasket set, some washers, and bearings. For $75 we should have a new engine. Yippee.
Darrell Abby

Offline dlabby

• Global Moderator
Re: Barry's Engine Shop
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 07:31:09 pm »
This winter Barry's engine shop has taken a box of engines and parts that have been donated to the club by a few former members and reconditioned the assortment into 4 (I believe that's right) like-new engines. Not sure what the club is going to do with them. Maybe you would like to buy one??? Anyway Thanks, Barry, for doing this. 
Darrell Abby

Offline Barry Ponder

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 08:24:53 pm »
Thank you. Hope they all find airframes to fly in again.  I will be testing the Rossi this week it's the last one to bench run.   Becides the old Saito 100.  :).   Barry.

Offline DocBill

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Flight Surgeon
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 06:54:17 am »
Who is Barry,  where does he live, how do you get a hold of him.  I  "Bing"ed him on Bing.com and could not fine him.  Then I went to google and could not find him.
It is better to land long and hot, than slow and stall. [from personal experience]  The World Famous Dr. Bill Chambers

Offline Barry Ponder

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 09:10:33 am »
Hi Doc. We miss you at the field. This spring maybe we will see that big Corsair flying she's way Cool.  Barry

Offline Lane C.

• Club Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 10:49:00 am »
Barry is in a witness protection program. Very low profile. ha. Who would ever guess a mild mannered engine repair guy was a former 007 James Bond type? Not me.

Online Paul Lange

• Club Member
Re: Barry's Engine Shop - "The Knack"
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 11:05:56 am »
There's a term out there...applies to individuals who demonstrate uncanny or unusual mechanical prowess.  In the inner world of BMW motorcycles those who posses historical aptitude for repairing and rebuilding antique machinery and new machinery are deemed to have "The Knack"

I think Barry is a "Knack" in the RC motor realm...also reported as a "Tuning" master

Paul H Lange
Best Regards - Paul H Lange

Offline DocBill

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Flight Surgeon
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 08:14:55 pm »
OK,  So I went out and put the charger on the P51 and the Corsair.   Want to get several flights on the P47.  Then move up to the P51.  Actually pretty simple to fly.  And then pull out the Corsair.  Have to run some battery checks  times 2 on the batteries.
It is better to land long and hot, than slow and stall. [from personal experience]  The World Famous Dr. Bill Chambers

Offline Joystick

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 03:06:30 am »
Great to see you're up to flying Doc. I'm sure you will do okay, but it is good to take it easy. It will be good to see you at the field again.

CHECK SIX

Signed: Steve Rogers (As far as you know)

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Barry Ponder

• Club Member
  • GSWAM Forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 10:10:04 am »
I actually acquired the rebuilding of nitro engines awhile back when it was to expensive to run gas engines. I started like most with nitro and loved the sound of a 4 stroke in the air. Unfortunately I never could get my throttle to move out of full throttle  position. Ha. Thus bearing changes started about a set a year.  Valve train adjustments followed that and before you know it your a nitro maestro.    All fun aside I learned from People like The Great Stan Brock and Steve Rogers just to name a few but there were many good engine guys to come thru GSW over the years and all would share thier knowledge.      Barry.                                                                                                                        Ps throttle back and save the bearings. Ha.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:00:46 am by Barry Ponder »